Now that we’ve covered foods that you can purchase while on the go, let’s talk about some foods that you could bring with you. These can be foods packed specifically for the day or even a secret stash for desperate times and cases of hangriness (the state of being so hungry you’re angry). 🙂
Here is a list of choices that travel well and don’t have to be refrigerated. Keep these in your purse or car for times of desperation.
- unsweetened applesauce
- trail mix (make your own with 2 parts nuts and 1 part no sugar added dried fruit)
- low-sodium almonds
- brown rice cakes
- dry roasted edamame or chickpeas
- low-fat granola
- whole wheat breakfast cereal mixed with dried fruit and almonds
- real food bars (my favorites and a recipe listed here )
These options are great if you have a cooler available.
- plain low-fat yogurt
- hummus with chopped veggies
- hard-boiled egg
- string cheese
- cottage cheese
- natural peanut butter (pair 2 tbsp with a rice cake, apple or banana)
- fresh fruits (grapes, apples, bananas, pears, etc are easy to eat while on the go)
In addition to these snacks, make sure you keep plenty of water stocked. Try to stay away from sugary sports drinks, juices, and sodas.
Remember you should be eating something every 3-4 hours. Having a planned snack in between meals can help keep you on track and avoid making poor choices. Resisting a donut from Dunkin or a small fry at Burger King is much harder when you are thinking about how hungry you are!